[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [Fwd: Re: Capacitor search]

In a message dated 96-12-06 01:37:36 EST, D. Gowin writes:

<< You can find your caps at R&D Electronics 1-800-642-1123.

 HIGH VOLTAGE DISC CAPACITORS

 2500 pF		6KVDC		Z5U		$0.75
 2000 pF		10KVDC		Real Big Disc	$1.95
 5000 pF		16.5KVDC	D7OU502M	$2.95

 Using a parallel/series network you can build these into
 any voltage/capacitor rating you choose.

It is my recollection that caps rated for DC which the above seem to be,
usually don't make very good TC caps because of the frequency at which they
will be asked to perform (usually somewhere between 100khz and 1mhz for
meduim and small Tesla
Coils).  The dielectric material in DC caps usually becomes quite unhappy and
has a major "loss" and heating problems which  increase with the operating
frequency, (since the dielectrics of choice for DC are not at all the same as
the dielectrics of choice for AC.)  While these caps might work after a
fassion, and are certainly cheap, the energy loss that they would probably
incur would detract markedly from the output of your coil.  If you have the
funds, I would suggest buying  comercial AC cap or building your own from
Polypropylene or Polyethylene and aluminum foil.

-DavidF-