[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Classic coil

At 06:00 AM 12/6/96 +0000, you wrote:
>> Subject: Classic coil
>
>>From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com Thu Dec  5 22:26:25 1996
>Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:29:01 -0800
>From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Classic coil
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> >From Hans.Grimstad-at-maxware.no Sun Dec  1 22:28:46 1996
>> Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:34:05 +0100
>> From: Hans.Grimstad-at-maxware.no
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Classic coil
>>
>> Hello everyone !
>>
>> I have been rereading my reprint of Teslas lecture to the Institution of
Electrical
>> Engineers in London. On page 15, he describes a small bipolar coil. Each
of the
>> terminals of the coil is connected to a circle, one is 80 cm in diameter,
the other is
>> 30 cm in diameter. During operation of the coil, the discharges between the
>> terminals produce a "luminous sheet" with an area of about 0.43 square
metre. He
>> states that he in earlier experiments, using bigger circles had covered
an area of
>> more than one square metre.
>> This coil has 2 primaries with 96 turns in each, and two secondaries with
260 turns in
>> each. When both the primaries and the secondaries are connected in
series, this
>> gives a ratio of conversion of about 1:2.7.
>>
>> It seems that a lot of people are designing coils with much bigger
conversion ratios
>> (1:67 for a coil with 1000 windings on the secondary and 15 on the
primary). I would
>> say that Teslas results with this coil are quite impressive. Why the big
secondaries
>> in "modern" coils ?
>>
>> Hans J|rgen Grimstad
>

>Hans,
>
>I am late getting to this message and have not read all replies, but here
>goes.
>
>In a resonance system the tranfomation ratio doesn't hold as you have
>computed.  We get much more out of the system than those simple ratios
>might imply.
>
>Next, modern coils are going for spark.  Spark is a function of secondary
>inductance.  Tesla's demo system was not a hot performer.  Tesla also
>used very tight coupling in his early systems of the early 1890s and this
>would hurt their performance.  He learned this as he progressed towards
>his 1899 super system.
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard -

Was'nt that an induction coil with an iron core and the action was by
"inductive kick" pulse wave instead of by dampened sine waves like a true
Tesla coil? The induction coil operates on a completely different type of
electrical mode, di/dt. This type of coil cannot be built to produce high
voltages and power like the Tesla coil.

Jack Couture