[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrostatics

You wrote:

snip

>> Bert and Richard ,
>>
>>Our work shows that the collecting electrode takes on negative
>>charge regardless!  An ES voltmeter can't make this determination.
>>An electrometer can.  Note that we have recorded DC output even from
>>a non-discharging disruptive system.  This output is of a much lower
>>level than the discharging system, but there nonetheless!  The
>>electrometer is a pivotal instrument in quantitative measurements of
>>such systems.
>>
>> Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
>Richards,
>
>I can understand how a build-up of negative charge might occur based
>upon the higher mobility of free electrons versus ions. I was _really_
>stumped about how a positive charge build-up could be occuring! Thanks
>for the additional clarification. Still certainly a lot of mystery
>about this phenomenon however...
>
>-- Bert --

12/1/96

I recently obtained a 20kV electrostatic VM at a hamfest.  After
Richard suggested ESVMs measure both DC and AC, I opened up the
cabinet. Essentially there are two capacitor plates - one fixed and one
movable. The movable one is attaced to a coiled hair spring and has a
moving indicator attached.  The mechanism is simplicity itself.
Oppositely charged plates experience attractive force.  If the fixed
plate is at ground potential then the movable plate is attracted
whether it's positively or negatively charged in reference to the
grounded plate.

I tested my ESVM with 1/2 of a 9 kV neon with the center grounded and
connected to the ESVM.  The high voltage side was coupled to the ESVM
by an air cap with a gap about 1".  Sure enough the ESVM measured the
AC high voltage.  Just as Richard predicted.

I then ran a series of experiments with the same TC set up and 14" x
14" Al target.  These are only qualitative at present, but the the
results are very interesting.  I plan to repeat the attenuation
experiments.

I put a bypass cap across the ESVM to ground to get rid of the TC AC
component.  The ESVM charging was slower and not as high, but it still
charged to several kV.  The ESVM holds a charge after charging is over.
I measured this charge with a 40 kV probe with both a digital and high
impedence electronic voltmeter.  Both indicate the charge is positive.
I measured at various TC voltage inputs, used different caps and
various distances (R).  Always positive charge.

I next conducted the same experiment using a 0.02 mF mica cap instead
of the ESVM.  Same results - positive charge.  Tested several different
caps and same results.  Switched around leads to the TC primary.  Still
Positive.

Here's one everyone can confirm.  Connect the negative lead of a
digital volt meter to system ground and hold on to the positive lead.
Fire a small TC at low power at a safe distance.  You are now a
capacitor plate.  If you have an auto ranging DVM it will tell you if
you have collected a positive or negative charge.

Next I put two 12kv PIV 550 mA microwave diodes in series with the
ESVM. I put two together for approximately 24 kV PIV.  When oriented to
permit the positive AC component to conduct the ESVM charged very fast
and high.   When oriented to permit only the negative AC component to
conduct, the ESVM charged slowly and lower, but it did charge.  When
four diodes - two back to back to two others - were placed in series
with the ESVM all AC was blocked.  Charging was very similar to
bypassing with caps.  The four opposing diodes actually permit passage
of electrostatic charge but not AC current!  This is amazing.  These
experiments were repeated with the mica cap with similar results.

I make the observation that with this particular set up TC
electrostatic discharge power predominates over EM discharge, since the
capacitor or ESVM is charged positively (albeit slower and to a lower
value) when only the negative EM component is conducted and summed with
the electrostatic component.  Perhaps the TC electrostatic component
creates the ionized arc channels first and the EM componet then
conducts in this lowered resistance channel.  This could explain some
of behavior and questions we have had about theses arc channels.  Isn't
lightning sometimes also modeled on this observation?

My experimental data strongly indicates positive charging for my
system.  This does not invalidate R. Hull's findings of negative
charging on another system.  There are endless variables in these
systems.  These TCs emit an explosive scalar wave.  They are also
scalar translators and these scalar waves are immediately reconverted
back to EM.  At this point our knowledge is limited and no one knows
for sure how this is accomplished and what all the variables are.

Bert you are correct that for a positively charging system, electrons
are not likely to be the charge vector.  The fan air stream is
perpendicular to the path from the TC terminal to target.  The idea of
the fan is to remove any ions or charged particals.  Ozone and ions
move more slowly, but electrons are accelerated much easier and
probably won't be affected by the air stream.  However, since the
target is being charged more positively, electrons should be moving
from a flat 14" x 14" surface to a point surface (actually a 1 1/2"
brass ball).  Not likely.  If charging negatively, electrons would be a
more approriate vector.

R. Hull does your Keithly electrometer measure both positive and
negative charges.  Coulombs may have either positive or negative
charge.

RWW