[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor search

Well, it's about 15 degrees here and supposed to snow 6" to 8" tonight.  I
have been reading about people building small coils and like the idea of
making a table top model out of a wine bottle.  Sounds like a good winter
project.  I've done some calculations and concluded that a wine bottle 3.0"
in dia. wound 7.0" high with #28 wire and a small 5" or 6" toroid would
oscillate at about 654 mhz.  With a 12 turn primary made out of #10 bare
copper wire I would need about .0045 microfarads to tune at 80% of the
primary.

My question here is does anyone have some .002 mf capacitors they would be
willing to part with?  I plan to use a 9 or 12 kv  30ma transformer.  I have
never used the doorknob type capacitors and know they are not the best but
they would probably work in this application.  I would probably want a 15 or
20 kv ac rating.

Also, I need to find a source of large (2" or 3") ferrites so I can wind some
safety chokes to protect the transformer.  Anyone know of a source?

Thanks,  Ed Sonderman