[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PC board Capacitors

[snip on stuff about trashing doorknob caps]

>Bert,
>        I've only got one 1800pf doorknob, which I'm using for filtering.
>When I priced doorknobs locally, I could order a Condenser Products cap for
>about $100 more. Tonight I'm going to build a 5nf cap using 0.090"
>polyethylene planters and increase the inductance of my TC primary and see
>how that works.
>
>                jim

Jim, I got my doorknob caps from the Hiway Comapny in California.  I got the
name and address from an earlier post by one of the other list serv posters
here on the Tesla listserv (I don't remember who, but you have my gratitude!).

I paid $6.50 each for .003 ufd -at- 30kv.  These were supposed to be 0.004 ufd,
so I think Hiway got 'em as seconds..... I don't care what the exact value
is, as long as they hold up under high voltage and I can get enough of them
to make a reasonable size cap.

Surplus places are excellent sources for hv caps - when you can find them.

bert