[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring inductive limits (was Re: Rotary Sparkgap)

>  The few fields texts that do the analysis for a shunt limited
> transformer also show the shunt producing an effective series
> inductance, so this is as it should be. Could you describe the
> setup you used to separate out the resistive and inductive
> parts? Since the inductance is kind of a virtual thing, inside
> the fields of the transformer iron, as it were, I've never
> come up with a really good way of measuring it.

I've just sent a post on how to estimate transformer power.
Some of the ideas expressed therein can be used. But the real
one is to measure the Q of the circuit. Since you can measure
R directly, and since Q = Xl/R, you can calculate Xl and hence
L.
    More directly, L = (Q x R)/(2 x PI x f)

    You can also use Q = 1/R x SQRT(L/C) in the form :

    L = Q^2 x R^2 x C

Malcolm