[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Series Gap Question

 * Original msg to: Coco-at-astroman-dot-com

Series gaps quench better than single gaps. The load on a series
set of gaps is better distributed. Too many gaps in series cause
problems: 1) with off-axis inductance 2) gap voltage getting too
low on any given gap for reliable firing 3) gap shorting from
slag caused when the gaps get very tiny (compensating for #2)

Ideally I like 4 - 8 static gaps in series.

Quoting coco-at-astroman-dot-com:

> Thanks...I am probably going to go ahead with four series
> gaps...should all four gaps be identical..that is split the
> total gap distance between all four..or set three, and use one
> for adjustment purposes? Rob D.

What I prefer to do is construct about ten gaps (20 electrodes)
and set each gap at around .030 inches. Then fire the coil, move
the tap out another gap, fire the coil, etc., until the best
performance is achieved. This is just a preference in an ideal
circumstance.

Using arc welding electrodes I would make all of the gaps
adjustable, especially if only four static gaps (eight
electrodes) are used. Begin by firing the coil with the gaps
closed down, then open them up in increments until the best
performance is achieved. Use a feeler (spel?) gauge or tiny
numbered drill bit to set each electrode evenly. Gaps that are
not set evenly don't wear or heat evenly, though there are no
real differences in performance.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12