[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Blown Rolled "Hull" Capacitor Discussion

Hello All,

> Quoting Ed Sonderman (Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com):
> Re: Capacitor voltage rating
> > I do think we should add an addendum to the capacitor build
> > instructions that discusses voltage ratings.  Everytime someone
> > blows one of these he has just lost $80 to $100 and a lot of
> > time.  I would like Richard Quick's opinion on this.
>
> I have no problem with this at all. Obviously the material is
> pertinent or we would not be discussing it. ...........
> Richard Quick

After listening to this discussion, one thing has crossed my mind.
Has everyone that has blown these caps used a vacuum pump to remove
ALL air from between the plates and in the oil?  Also, is everyone
using transformer oil?  I have heard talk of cleanliness, which is
indeed important.  But the two point I bring up are also critical.

For those that have blown the rolled "Hull" capacitors recently, I
would like to take a survey to see if the above 2 details were
followed.

I have not built a rolled capacitor, only vertical stacked plate.
I also had problems until I used tranformer oil and used a vacuum
pump to remove all air.

Scott Myers