[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sparks

 * Carbons Sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Glenn:

> Fellow sparkers,

> Lit my 4" coil for the first time last night.  Nothing really
> spectacular compared to what some of you guys are getting, but
> I'll take 1' with a single 60 ma neon into free air as an
> accomplishment for a first round test.

I'd say so!

> The setup is rather crude and I am kind of suprised it came to
> life at all.

I guess that means you have been paying attention! There is
nothing like the thrill of producing genuine HF-RF for the first
time.

> If there wasn't florescent lights down here, I probably would
> not have found the tune.  It is only 3.5 turns out and very
> sharp.  4 vacuum gaps that are not the best and only 12 ga wire
> to hook it all together leaves considerable room to improve.  A
> couple of hits to the florescent fixtures just short of 17"
> kept it interesting.

Once you get this far, you are doomed. The bug has bitten if you
reached out with over a foot of spark. The improvements are sure
to come quickly. Adding some toroid will move your primary tap
out a bit, which will really help. How about running down the
system specs a bit more?

 > Changed over to 4 ga for the tank tonight.  Tomorrow I'll see
 > if there is any difference in performance.

See what I mean about improvements coming quickly!  :-)

Best of luck and Congrats!

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12