[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Questions...

" The capacitors are .1mf each, for a total of 12, in series."

  MG> I'm curious Chris, what kind of capacitors are they?

 " The secondary is about 470 turns of 26 gauge magnet wire on
   a 24" long 3" diameter form."

  MG> Chris,

  MG> You don't state how long the actual winding is, 470 turns of #26
  MG> closewound would only be about 8 to 9" in length and if wound this way
  MG> would tune at around 900 Khz to 1 Mhz.**  If your using the full 24" or
  MG> anything close to it by space winding the secondary, it most likely
  MG> is resonant MUCH HIGHER in frequency and VERY LOW in inductance.
  MG>  I believe the coil is WAY OUT of tune, and depending on your actual
  MG> secondary construction, may not be useable. The sparking at the safety
  MG> gaps is occurring because the out of tune condition is not allowing
  MG> the secondary to "absorb" energy from the primary and a standing wave
  MG> is being set up in the primary circuit. This could cause transformer
  MG> and/or capacitor failure.

  MG> ** Depending on the terminal

  We've spent all this time
  and we're just disappointed...any ideas?

  chris, evan and andrew dunagan >>

      MG> Don't be too disappointed, your learning!!

                       Mark Graalman 71612,1234-at-compuserve-dot-com