[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: Plate thickness

Hi Mark,

> I have a thought that I'd like to run by you all, the calculated skin
>effect depth of penetration at 100 KHZ is about .011" in copper, if a
>capacitor is built using .002"thick foil as plate material would it be
>possible that since the foil is thinner than the depth of conduction at this
>frequency there would be a loss of current discharge capability to due an
>increase in the "RF" resistance? I would think that in order to obtain
>maximum current capability at these low frequencies that plate material
>should be thick. This is just something I`ve been thinking about, it is
>obvious that foil capacitors work, I'm just thinking that a thin foil would
>have the effect of increasing the effective ESR of the capacitor.

Ive been using .3mm flashing in my caps. Its easy to work with and all the edges
can be rounded with fine sand paper to help reduce corona. For this reason,
the thicker the better. I orriginially tried to obtain a lighter 'pie tin'
type foil. It would handle the skin effect depth and be easy to work with, but
of course the edges will be a little sharper as a trade-off. Flashing is not
cheap!

Marcus