[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3/4 wavelength secondaries

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzFri Jul 26 11:29:25 1996
> Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 19:00:59 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 3/4 wavelength secondaries
>
> Hi Richard and all,
>                     In the light of what you say in your last
> paragraph in this piece, there is something here that I desperately
> want to understand.
>
> <major snip>
> > Finally, the voltage produced by a Tela coil is a function of the
> > resonator coil's inductance and the current injected into the base.  The
> > top terminal may load this a bit, but the value of the voltage created in
> > the system is not determined by the top C at all.  I hope this helps this
> > thread a bit.
>
> My understanding is that for each shot, the secondary rings up as the
> primary rings down until Cp is empty. There is then a finite amount
> of energy available to charge the terminal capacitance. How can the
> terminal reach a voltage higher than that allowed by conservation of
> energy? I have grappled with this one for a long time now. The Corums
> (oft quoted as an authority in this area) make no mention of this
> fundamental limitation in a cap discharge system (at least in the
> notes I've read), but appear to treat the secondary/extra coil as
> though it is fed from a voltage source (which a capacitor most
> definitely is not).
>     In fact the situation is even worse when one takes the awful gap
> losses into account.
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm,

I like the thinkers in this group and you are certainly one of them.  The
conservation law is always in full effect here.  The Corums and myself
treat the system in a more idealized fashion, as you say.  It is as if
the base of the resonator is voltage fed.  It is obviously this way in a
magnifier system.  But, it is also this way in a two coil system!!!  Yep!
 No matter what sized counterpoise you use, the base of the resonator in
a two coil system has a nice hefty voltage on it.  It may not be much,
but what it lacks in EMF it more than makes up for in Ultra-Low impedance
drive!!!  This means current!  Current and its rate of delivery interact
with the resonator's inductance to create 100% of the resonant rise in
any Tesla system.

  A maggey uses, hopefully, a moderately low impedance drive source and a
fairly high base voltage. (trade offs).  The energy is coupled into the
resonator in a two coil system magnetically and directly in a magnifier.
 Needless to say the maggey system gives more bang for the buck where
resonator coupling from the driver top turn is always 100%.

The terminal can reach ANY POTENTIAL UP TO INFINITY based on even a 10
watt input!!  Conservation of energy will still hold! With 10 RMS watts
in to the system and with only 50% efficiency,  5 RMS watts makes it to
the toroid.  If we choose to have 1 pico-ampere in an arc, we would
expect a voltage out of 5 TRILLION volts!!  Thus the law is satisfied!
(using crude in phase RMS values!)  Even a microamp arc off the toroid
(exactly 1 million times hotter) would make a 5 million volt output from
5 watts in the toroid.

The above is a bit out of context (but notheless valid) and just not
doable, but you see the conservation of energy law is not a good point to
argue some sort of voltage limitation rule from!  Forget energy
conservation!!  It is "auto-adjusting" in this universe! (thank god)
Look at it as a sort of automatic level or gain control  (ALC - AGC)
imposed by God.  We can't fiddle with it beyond trying to engineer for
max transfer 100% ideal, unatainable, ever!  In theory, and by the
conservation rule.... any voltage all the way to infinity is possible
with any coil at any wattage.

In reality, a two coil system is great at 10% efficiency. (wall outlet to
arc).  A maggey might double this!

Richard Hull, TCBOR