[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Current in conductors

All,

There has been a bit of interest in details on RF current flow in
conductors.  Ed Harris supplied the equation and his calculations came
out to about .2-.3mm penetration at 100khz in copper.  I have always
tripled this for a safety factor.  Thus, my post for 1mm penetration at
100khz.  Current streamlines always follow the path of least inductance.
Therefore, in a coil, about 80% of the current flows on the inner portion
of the turns only!  Design all systems with this in mind!  This is why I
use much large diameter tubing than the calculation say.  This is also
why Tesla noted that thin sheet metal banding was the best primary
material.  One learns these lessons fast with exploding wire and water
arc explosion experiments where 50,000 amp RF Currents are the norm.

Richard Hull, TCBOR