[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Amateur Night

Hi Ken ,
  It  appears to be a universal - bench mount / panel mount  120/240 vac
unit --------------   I have no reference per se
    This sure looks like commercial power (split 440 ) or perhaps
European (220 mains ) ---- also split 440 or 440 - center-tapped.
---- meaning that one of the two wires is  (gnd/neutral)
U.S. power "mains" are 220 - center-tapped ---  the reason I
mention this is because if it's hooked up with U.S. 220
neither wire is (gnd/neutral). &  either wire will be"hot" --- meaning ,
you have no isolation from EITHER side of the Edison Co. (double danger !)

        For 110 vac ---- bench mount (clock-wise from top of unit for voltage
increase )
use connector 2 for common (gnd.)line input connection . ---connect "Hot "
wire
to terminal 7 --- for 0 to 120 v. output   ---- output will be between
terminals 2 & 3
three is the wiper -----to increase output to 140 volts -- connect the hot
wire to
terminal 6 ----- you can test the voltage relationships by using a smaller
variac in place of the power mains ---to energize your new variac (loads
limited to smaller varic
though )
   If uncertain which wire is neutral --- (it's a good idea to test it if
unsure--- electricians who wire houses make mistakes too ! )-----
     Test the 110 outlet by connecting a single wire from the smaller of the
two
slots in the outlet (supposed to the black wire  & on the right side of the
outlet in the
U.S )  to one of the wires connected to a lightbulb -------(lamp etc.)-----
connect the other wire from the lamp to a ground rod , water pipe etc. ------
if the bulb lights --- the outlet is wired correctly ---- the neutral wire(s)
will be the larger slot & the ground if three wire system. -------------- if
older two wire system is installed in the shop -- change it (please ) !

      I think that's about all ---- check with others too though --
If there's anything I've said that's unclear or you find something other ,
please let me know------
      I hope i didn't beat the subject to death --- rather safe than sorry
Later--
             Sandy