[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: car computers & TCs

Tesla List wrote:

> >From GCerny-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comSun Jul 21 10:05:21 1996
> Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 20:24:10 +0000
> From: Glenn Cerny <GCerny-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: car computers & TCs
>
> Dave,
> I would think you are pretty darn safe from causing damage to
> a cars computer at 50' plus.  I would avoid giving the car a direct
> strike.  I have heard of cars getting struck by lightning and never
> missing a beat, so take it from there.   My Blazer is parked in
> the driveway just out of reach of my coil and shows no ill effects
> (so far anyway).
> Glenn
>

> > Has anyone had the misfortune or heard of anyone who fried a car's
> > computer with a TC?  I would guess that they are fairly well shielded,
> > but thought I'd ask before firing a coil outdoors within 50-100 feet
> > of neighbors' and my cars.
> >
> > Dave Euans
> >
> >Hi Dave,
        It would take alot of "E,M,P," to damage your cars computer,
Most onboard computers are shielded going to the cars chassie,also alot of
todays chips are case hardened.I've had some small problems,i owned a toyota
Mr2 sportscar a few years ago,the CPU is in the trunk my ham
transmitter(kenwood ts-440s)was on the floor, if i took the automatic antenna
tuner off line and maually detuned getting lots of rf flowing over the
antenna shield (around 100 watts)the car would start to stall out on me.At
that point i would key up and everything would come back fine,this also
happened with my Swan 500(500 watts).The other thing is all my cars are about
40' from my 18,000 watt T.C. Tuned to 105khz never had any problems.So i
would have to say your alright unless you give it a direct "hit"