[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Skin Effect & Primary Current?

Hi Kevin,
           One skin depth is defined as 66/SQRT(f) mm. As a rule,
I generally shoot for a wiregauge 3x this in the secondary. This
allows for some distortion of the current flow due to the proximity
effect. Making the wire thicker than this will not significantly
reduce the AC resistance and is just wating money on copper. For the
primary, I'd recommend wall thickness of 2 skin depths. Going to huge
tube diameters achieves little as the spark gap is the dominant loss.
A skin depth is defined as the depth at which the current has dropped
to 1/e of its total value.

Malcolm