[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Using SF6 for cap../ safety note

>  Subject: Re: Using SF6 for cap..
>
>  Hello all, thought the following info might interresting to those
following
>  this link:
>
>  Oh, one other thing to be aware of before using this stuff is that it is a

>  known Ozone eater like the CFC's.
>
>  David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>
>
>                    Physical/Chemical Characteristics
>  =============================================================

                            COLORLESS, ODORLESS GAS
                                     WEAR SCBA
>LIQUEFIED GASES IN CONTACT W/WATER   CAN EXPLODE VIOLENTLY.
                                REACTIVE METALS
>  Hazardous Decomp Products: FLUORIDES OF SULFUR.
>  =========================================================
>                           Health Hazard Data
        =  THE PRODUCT HAS NO WARNING PROPERTIES. ==
> Route Of Entry - Inhalation: NO >  Route Of Entry - Skin: YES
                SKIN: MAY ACT AS AN ASPHYXIANT
>  Signs/Symptoms Of Overexp: SKIN: MAY ACT AS AN ASPHYXIANT
                         I F  BREATHING>  HAS STOPPED,
                                    CALL PHYSICIAN.
  ============================================================   SF6 EXPOSED
TO ELECTRIC ARCS MAY
 BREAK DOWN INTO TOXIC YPDUCTS.
>  AVOID BREATHING SF6 WHICH HAS BEEN THUS EXPOSED.

  Hi all-----------
       In the interest of "a longer half-life " ---
    May I humbly suggest that we avoid the implementation
of such things as those which contain the warning :

  ******************** " IF STILL BREATHING "************************

             I take this warning as a "hint " of danger ---- :-)
 Not to suggest that we stop exploring --------------------

       There are many solvents etc.  such as benzene -- carbolic acid  ,
that are readily absorbed through the skin --- & can be lethal

        Since we are looking for components to enhance our
coils ------------- perhaps a chemical do's & dont's FAQ
is an important inclusion as well ??

        I realize that if such a list becomes available ,
there will be those who will mix 'em to see what happens however.

       Thanks for the input David

Sandy
(former chem. lab "mix-master") --- :-)