[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Playing around

Well, just for hee hee's and ha ha's I decided to play with a 450 watt coil
this afternoon.  Instead of your standard issue series spark gap, I strapped
a Jacob's Ladder to it and took the shunt cap off.  Output with just the
ladder was almost exactly the same (at the peak of the ladder) as with the
.0056uf 40kvdc cap and 6-gap series spark gap.

Has Chad discovered some profound new way to completely eliminate the need
for a shunted cap?  Try it and see what results you encounter.

Perhaps, in my somewhat inebriated state (four day vacation started today),
I bore witness to an illusion.  But my brother-in-law was there too, and he
agreed with me totally.
 Chad Alan Madison                      \   /     \
 BSEE Undergraduate Student              \ /  \   /
 University of Texas at Austin            \  /  //
 Member: Tesla Coil Society                \/  \/
 http://www.flash-dot-net/~chadwick/           ||  ||
                                           _______
                                          ////|\\\\
                                          \\\\|////