[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paul Millott's Coil

Hi Paul,
         A few comments:

> The transformer running the BTC3 is 240v 5amp step down to 120v.
> The BTC3 has the transformer it came with which looks like a neon
> transformer but not the type available here. I think it is rated at
> 6Kv.

Can you find out/measure it so I know for sure? Before anyone jumps
in and says that this voltage is too low for anything, I have a coil
here putting out 4+ footers on dry days with the gap set to 5 - 6kV.

> Do you know of the BTC3? Has anyone else got one for comparison on the
> output? Mine can give arcs of 4 inches.

I've only read the ad for it. System output is typically dictated by
input power if tuning/coupling is OK. Optimum terminal size for the
power you are running at will assist greatly in getting long
discharges.

> I also noted that as you close the spark gap the arcs get shorter.

Closing the gap reduces primary cap voltage (and energy) before the
gap fires.

<snip>
Another plea. Would you please mail me offlist with FULL details of
every component of the system - enough for me to duplicate it EXACTLY.
This should avoid my having to build another system. If I can't
identify the problem from this, I will build you one.

Thanks,
Malcolm