[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: D.C. Cox TCBA Article

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: D.C. Cox TCBA Article
>
> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comWed Jun 19 18:11:16 1996
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:22:15 -0700
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: D.C. Cox TCBA Article
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >

> My little "micro" system consisted of a .003ufd cap, secondary coil
>2"X5" using a 4KV 30ma neon (only 40 volts in from the variac- ~50VA)
>and a large 10 inch toroid.  I wanted and got RF radiation and a large
>E-field with 15 gaps.  To get longest sparks, I woud have altered the
>system to use only 1 to 4 wide set gaps and a 12 KV transformer with a
>6" toroid.
>

> Richard Hull, TCBOR

Hello Richard:
    The closing comment of yours shown above has me wondering if I might
have mis-understood some of the information on toroid sizing.  I hope you
might comment on the physical size of the toroid I built, in a system
where maximizing spark is the goal.  I have a 48" diameter toroid with 6"
aluminum duct as the outer rim, this being mounted on a 8" diameter by
28" long coil.  I have a 14,400 VAC 10kva pole pig and one of the .025 CP
caps.  My question is, in the above comment I see where you suggest
reducing toroid size to get best spark, while I thought I had read in the
TCBA News from early this year where a toroid 2-3 times the secondary
winding length was considered ideal, assuming enough power was available
in your article(from memory, not a quote).  I'm sitting here simply
puzzled, wondering if my toroid is too big, or maybe too small!  Any
comments would be appreciated-Thanks

Chuck Curran