[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flyback Transformers

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comSat Jun  8 21:55:30 1996
> Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 18:21:26 -0700
> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Flyback Transformers
>
> You wrote:
>
> snip
>

> 2.  When I decreased my primary voltage to about 40 v, my secondary
> sparks were about 3 - 4 inches.  I intently observed the sparks from a
> couple of feet away.  In addition to the regular streamers, I could
> observe small bright flashes above the corona.  These same flashes can
> be observed in Richard Quick's video and in TCBOR videos (see the still
> frame shots).  Electric Spacecraft Journal had an article a few
> editions back and the author felt they might be tiny ball lightning.
> What are these flashes?

I've seen that same thing in certain environments.  I finally decided
that they were caused by specks of dust randomly vaporizing in the
discharge.   I could recreate this by blowing flower (baking) into the
air.  You could probably blow pyrotechnics coloring chemicals into the
discharge to get interesting colors- e.g. strontium-red, or
barium-green. :)

Rob.