[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flyback Transformers

Tesla List wrote:

> >From dwt-at-efn-dot-orgSun Jun  9 22:22:10 1996
> Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 23:07:31 -0500
> From: David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Flyback Transformers
>
> "My other coil produces 22" streamers
> to a grounded target.  But, while making this measurement, I watch as
> other, longer streamers zip (zap?) right past said target.  Why is the
> grounded target a less attractive destination for TC discharges?"
>
> Well, I am going to stick my neck out much further than I should. The
> potential difference of a TC without any terminal capacitance should be
> greatest towards the common earth ground, but now when one adds an
> increasing terminal capacitance (a torus) the potential difference
> becomes more influenced by the surounding space and not the common
> ground. This is why, I asume, is the partial reason we acheve greater
> free air discharge length with large torus. I have had my magnifier
> running with a 4.5"x16" torus with a small wire taped to the bottom
> pointed down shooting sparks down to the wooden table (24") only 5" from
> the bottom of my tirtary with only occasional hits to the bottom of the
> coil.
>  Now I am probibly way off, but hey thats sticking my neck out
>
> David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>
>
> PS: Anyone who has not read Richard Hull's Guide to the CS Notes is
> really missing out. Richard- it is refreshing to get just the facts and
> not the fiction. A very good work.

David,

Thanks for the kind words about the book!  The potential difference in a
coil is developed within the resonator only.  Their is no other source of
voltage in the system.  It is pretty much a function of base current and
resonator inductance.  These key factors are further influenced by
transmission line concerns as well.  But make no mistake, the voltage is
formed totally within the coil itself.

The naked or bare coil breaks out at 10KV or whenever the free air
breakdown corona potential is reached.  Extra energy in the system will
push the arc out a bit further, but a limit is reached where hundreds of
short arcs are boiling off the bare coil at the same time.  With a
toroid, we develop a way to merely raise the corona/spark breakdown
potential plus get the freebie of isotropic capacitance thrown in to
store large amounts of energy.  Thus, we see only one or two sparks which
are long and very hot.  We have the same power, we just have made it
perform for us in a more pleasing manner.

Thanks again,

Richard Hull, TCBOR