[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: core saturation in variac

Tesla List wrote:

> >From richard.craven-at-mkbbs.co.ukMon Jun 17 07:29:37 1996

> I am struggling with the idea of using variacs as current
> limiting reactors.
>

> Today, I gapped all three of my variacs and I will remove
> the 250 turns of 22swg wire, and replace them with 100 turns
> approx. of 16swg (1.6mm diameter).

I seems like it would be alot easier to buy a large iron core choke
(20 lbs core or bigger) and make the gap adjustable with a brass screw
in a hole that you tap out.  It would be an adjustable L: at L max you
would have less current, but then saturation would not be problem- at
low L you would get highest current, but most immunity from
saturation.

Most of these cores are E| types so the | is easily removable.  I once
used a big choke like this as a metal recording tape eraser :)   Fair
Radio might be a good place to start looking for one of these- or some
old linear power supply.

Best regards, Rob.