[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: BEGINNER

Greetings,

As moderator, I couldn't post an "executable" attachment (even if it is
a zip file).  Many subscribers can't take large or binary files.

Anyway, to the task at hand...

Looking back at my first tesla coil, I believe that the biggest problem
that I faced was the amount of power input.  I had an 8" diameter coil
wound with 18 ga. wire on a cardboard form.  I used 18 ga. wire for the
primary and glass plates and aluminum foil for the capacitor.  I was able
to get a spark about 8" from the top to ground.  I never saw any
streamers either.

The next biggest two problems were the spark gap and capacitor.  The spark
gap was two 1" aluminum balls with about 3/4" between them.  The problem
with this gap was that it didn't quench very well at all.

The capacitor that I made was very lossy too.  I could see the corona
around the edges of the plates in all but the brightest light.

Other problems were that I was using a wire gauge for the primary that
was too small.  Compared to the other problems though, this was minor.

As for toroids, they are nice, but not necessary.  Many a coil has been
built using a large sphere.  However, these are expensive (sometimes) too,
so you could start out using something "appropriate".  I started out using
wok lids.  They are spun aluminum dishes that I held together with tape.
>From the side they look like () in cross section.  One of the TCBOR guys
(Alex Tjynsek (spelling is wrong)) uses pots and pans with fine results.

I would suggest making a smallish coil first.  They are cheaper and
easier to build.  I made my first working coil with 26 ga. wire on a 3"
form with 750 turns of wire on the secondary and about 12 turns of 4 ga.
solid grounding wire for the primary.

There are files on the ftp site that you can down load for information.
See ftp.funet.fi in /pub/sci/electrical/tesla/misc.  In particular,
coilbld.zip and caps1.txt.Z.  If you can't get access to a UNIX machine
or some other machine that handles compressed files (ending in .Z), I
could help you with putting them in another format.

Richard Hull and TCBOR produces a series of video tapes that I wish I had
when I was starting.

Hope this helps.

Chip