[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

cap specifications

I am curious about the capacitor specifications that people are using
for resonating Tesla coil primaries.  I have seen several posts where
it appears that a cap working voltage equal to the transformer
secondary voltage is used.  Normally, caps (except those to be used
across the AC mains, i.e. UL and VDE listed) are rated for max DC
voltage. Thus if you had a 15kvac transformer- the equivalent DC rated
cap would be 14kvac x 2 x 1.414 volts peak-to-peak.

However, these caps are not just connected to a transformer, they are
connected to a source of extreme stored energy- namely, the stored
energy in the magnetic field of the secondary reflected back thru to
the primary and then subtracting lost energy in the gap.  Who knows
what the real p-p voltage might be on these caps?  Moreover, if the
gap is not working perfectly, whatever that quality may be, this
voltage is probably not anywhere near being constant.

Thus the cap voltage may very well be many times the transformer rms
voltage depending upon conditions.  If you are skeptical, try this
experiment:  take a 12v relay and hold the bare wires in your hand as
you contact a 12vdc source.  You may get quite a jolt.  That because
when the DC is suddenly removed, the magnetic field in the coil
collapses producing hundreds of volts (and damped oscillations due to
the self capacitance of the solenoid).  Thus you can easily get a 10x
or more increase in voltage by switching a tuned circuit across a
voltage source.  Something similar may happen when the gap fires in
the Tesla coil.

I think that the idea that cap working voltage is somehow rigidly tied
to supply voltage has somehow migrated from the field of power
amplifiers where using tubes (grid current flowing) or transistors (CB
junction reverse biased) the output voltage is clamped to near ground
on the negative going peaks, thus limiting output voltage to some
multiple of the supply voltage.  There are no clamps in a tesla coil-
only the maximum transfer of energy to the discharge results in a
minimum of wasted energy dissipated in caps, etc.

What do others think?  Best Regards, Rob.

ps: Was my Tesla coil bibliography received in the list?  I either
screwed up in sending it or accidentally erased my own copy when it
arrived.  there were some interesting technical articles from the
professional scientific journal on Tesla coils, along with the
original article by Duane Bylund in Radio Electronics that inspired my
mosfet design.

ps2:  I also see that I reinvented the wheel when it came to idea of
using an E| core choke with variable gap as ballast.  Well, at least I
am probably the first to come up with the idea of using one as a bulk
magnetic tape eraser.  :) :)