[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multiple

Hi everyone,
            First of all, I finally got to see some of Ed Sonderman's
and Mark Napier's coils via a gif display today. Nice work guys! It's
a pleasure to see the craftsmanship of you and everyone. You're put-
ting me to shame.
     Secondly, I'm in URGENT need of some information if people
would be able to help. Would those people that have access to an
oscilloscope and signal generator please be able to measure the Q
of their primary circuits and post the results directly to me?
The basic method is : (a) short the spark gap, (b) connect the scope
directly across the coil at the points to which the capacitor is
attached, (c) connect one end of a 100kOhm resistor to the signal
probe of the scope, (d) connect the signal generator earth lead
to the scope earth, (e) connect the signal generator "signal" lead
to the free end of the resistor.
     For the measurements : (a) tune the generator to the primary
resonant frequency, (b) adjust the scope/signal generator for a
full 8 divisions (vertical) display and note the frequency, (c) tune
the generator below the resonant frequency until the peak-to-peak
display on the scope is 5.6 divisions and record this frequency, (d)
tune the generator above resonance until the display is also 5.6
divisions and note this frequency.
    Please mail me the 3 frequencies. I am imploring people to help
me in this. Things I am trying to discover MAY have implications for
all our systems.

Thankyou in advance.

Yours in urgency,
Malcolm