[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Blown Rolled "Hull" Capacitor Discussion

At 09:31 AM 2/29/96 +0700, you wrote:

>Subject: Re: Blown Rolled "Hull" Capacitor Discussion
>>After listening to this discussion, one thing has crossed my mind.
>>Has everyone that has blown these caps used a vacuum pump to remove
>>ALL air from between the plates and in the oil?  Also, is everyone
>>using transformer oil?  I have heard talk of cleanliness, which is
>>indeed important.  But the two point I bring up are also critical.
>>
>>For those that have blown the rolled "Hull" capacitors recently, I
>>would like to take a survey to see if the above 2 details were
>>followed.
>>
>>I have not built a rolled capacitor, only vertical stacked plate.
>>I also had problems until I used tranformer oil and used a vacuum
>>pump to remove all air.
>>
>>Scott Myers

Hello all,
  I recently built 4 of R.Hulls' type rolled caps..(so far they are
 working fine) I didn't vacuum them, and the amount of air bubbles
I saw coming out was very little. In his construction video, R.Hull
sorta made a big deal about pouring the oil all over the top edge of
the roll so as to saturate it and help drive out the air...I don't
know if it makes a difference, but I was very careful to pour the
oil down the side of the roll and not let any get on top of it. My
thinking was, if the air trapped between the layers wants to come
out, it'd be easier to get out without having to go thru the oil..
like let the oil seep in from the bottom up. Also I let them sit for
a week, and started them out with low voltage(if ya call 3-4k low :)
till I could only see an occasional tiny bubble. All this talk of
blown caps scared me into going from 12k .030's to 9k .060's (better
safe than sorry) Whew! I typed all that in one breath :)
p.s. Gettin' lots better (longer) sparks with the lower volts/higher
current! Watts the reason for that? ;)
                                             Ken