[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Annoyed Neighbor

Hi Jim,

> >Well everyone, I've had my first problem with bothering the neighbors
> >with radio waves.  I was experimenting with progressively larger and
> >larger toroids.  I got to the point where the coil wasn't breaking out
> >and was transmitting a large RF field..........
>
> I had similar problems with my friend across the street. In this
> case, I had my RF and AC grounds tied together at the neon. The sparkgap
> noise was running to my wall socket up the drop line to the Power Company's
> pole pig and down my neighbors drop line to his tv. As soon as I put a 550uH
> inductor between my RF and AC grounds his problem went away......
>
> Double check you house ground system for RF, connect a long wire to the cold
> water pipe and solder the other end to a NE2. Use the other lead of the NE2
> as a sniffer on various pieces of metal, house ground, etc.

Interesting.  That is a distinct possibilty.  I may have inadvertantly tied the
2 ground systems together.  I do have a nice RF ground system though.  It
consists of (5) 10' x 5/8" copper clad rods driven into the ground 9' apart.
The top of each rod has a 2" wide solid copper strap soldered to it that
interconnects each rod.  Another solid copper strap connects the whole buried
assembly to the base of my coil.  I actually didn't get any complaints before
the other day though.  I have to get back over to the neighbors and talk to
him about it.

I will test the house for RF though.  I could also use another in-line filter
or 2.  I also need to sheild the house wiring in the garage.  I know it is
acting as an antenna.  It even lights the incandecent bulbs in the garage when
running.  I hope to accomplish all of this, including the Faraday shield, this
weekend.

Inadvertantly Transmitting in Ohio,
Scott Myers