[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer basics

Sorry about not responding sooner, but I've been busy -- Can you believe the
traffic?

I took apart a transformer and had to cut off one of the windings because
I couldn't see how to get it apart.  As I cut off the winding I could see
that each layer of wire had a layer of paper between it.  Since I didn't know
how easy transformers were to come by, I decided to rewind the winding.
I built a winder that has some important features:
Variable speed
A turn counter
Reversible power feed

I made a form that was the same size as the transformer core, put a couple
of wraps of drafting mylar around it and started winding.  I would put 130
turns of wire on in a flat layer, cover it with cyano acrylate glue and
put another strip of drafting mylar over it.  Then I reversed the power
feed and wound another layer.  I continued on until I had the calculated
10000 or so turns, finished with a final coat of glue, took it off and put
it on the core.  This was the second winding that I made.  The first one
was put on a form that was ever so slightly too small.  I couldn't get it
on the core of the transformer no matter what I did, so I had to do it again.

The main techniques that I would recommend are to glue down each layer, to
use mylar strips (they don't strech and insulate well) and to have a power
feed that can reverse.

This coil was half of a 15/60 transformer.

Chip