[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: arc welder

>Hi,
>	I'm in the process of building a coil using a 14.4KV 10KVA pole pig.
>My question relates to how small an arc welding unit I can get away with
>in terms of its input current rating.  I can get a 220v 20amp unit at a
>good price but don't know if this is likely to survive if I try to throw
>30-40 amps through it with some resistance paralleled across it and
>don't run it for very long.
>
>	Am I likely to smoke this welder?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave

Dave,

I use a welder rated at 230 amps secondary and 40 amps primary.  I use three
2,000 watt oven elements in parallel with it.  I have had the current up to
40 amps a couple of times.  I should measure the amount of current flowing
through the oven elements then I could better answer your question.  They do
get hot but not red hot.

If you limit the welder current to 20 amps and allow maybe another 5 amps
through the oven elements, you get 25 amps at 240 volts or 6 KVA.  If you do
ever want to get to 10 KVA, I think you will need a heavier welder.  6KVA is
a lot of power, you may be happy there.  I would think the welder should be
able to run 10 or 20% over its rated capacity if it is rated conservatively.

Ed Sonderman