[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

This is from a spark testing machine used in cable manafacture,
It is open frame with the laminated cores exposed, I can see no
magnetic shunts so I assume this is not current limited? I do not
know the current rating, but judging from the size of the unit
(the core is about 9" square and 2" thick) I would say its about
1kW, which makes roughly 40mA at 25Kv output, and the unit should
draw 4 amps at 240v.

I have a 240v - 110v transformer which I could use to reduce the
HV. However, this is about as big as the HV Trans, and it seems
like a lot of copper and iron to use when I could rewind my
trannie. What I am really worried about is maximising power
through put, and if I am limited to 20Kv max (with my new CP Cap
:) ), then I'd like to max out the current capability of the HV
transformer in order to use the cap to the fullest extent.
Presumably, using a step down transformer will limit me to the
existing 40mA figure, but if I rewind with 3/4 less windings and
3/4 bigger wire (on the secondary) I will boost my current by 3/4
and reduce my voltage by 3/4. Please correct me if I am making
elementary errors here.

I've talked to scotty and he's doing the business bless him.
Looks like the cap will arrive just after my exams finish!

Cheers

Steve Crawshaw