[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Re.Secondary Coil Electrostatic Charge

Dave,

your surmise is a viable one, but there is no charge whatsoever left on the
toroid.  We have been quick to follow up on this and the usual location of
the charge on a coil is the winding itself!!  This charge is horrendous and
is probably confined to the insulation as a dielectric.  The charge on a
large coil is quite large and very hurtful to the causal stroker of the coil
following a long firing session.  This charge relates to the classic
"electret" of electrostatics.  A ground applied to the windings will not
eliminate the charge!  The fact that the bottom turn of the coil is grounded
makes little difference.
What's more, following a nasty discharge, the charge immediately returns and
multiple shocks over a period of minutes are possible!

We feel that the coil wire acts as a sheet conductor connected to ground, as
the electrostatic component sees it.  The insulation on the wire (even
enamel) is the dielectric.  The toroid has placed a large amount of charged
ions in the air and a separation of charge occurs "isotropically" in the
insulation's dielectric.  After firing an unlucky  person approaches and
becomes a localized spot "plate" with a return path to ground.  The spark
jumps, some energy is lost and the charge remaining redistributes through
the dielectric.  Thus, the condition for continued shocks exists.  We also
hypothesize that upon discharge to gorund the current flow in the wire might
even ring up the resonator in a small way to "rebound" or "flyback" some
charge.

All of the above is our hypothesis based on a real, observed and
experimented with, effect.  Note, this effect fades in our hot and ultra
humid summer air, as might be expected.

We have this effect repeatedly, vividly and painfully shown on one of our
video reports!

     Richard Hull, TCBOR
From: tesla
To: 73041.2215; 73663.1536; BrittB7556; JHERRON; JOHNBATES3; abourass;
atech; davide; funkadelic; gpaul; jbiehler; jfalcon; jmonty; kg7bz; logue;
osburnw; pinsky; richardh; rmessick; rnicker; rwstephens; shu95mmc; stevej;
yiorgos
Subject: Re.Secondary Coil Electrostatic Charge
Date: Thursday, March 21, 1996 8:11PM