[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bumping above 40%

Richard Hull said to ED:

>Ed,
>
>I have never heard of anyone paralleling the resistance with the inductance!
> Wow. maybe you have discovered something.  Perhaps your welder is enough
>ballast by itself.  I would tend to suggest that the resistance must be in
>series with the limiter inductance.  Otherwise you are effectively shunting
>it out.  If your system is working fine, don't try and fix it!!!!
>
>     Richard Hull, TCBOR

I had always put my resistances in series with my inductor as well, but I
tried the parallel method as well on a medium size coil on a 5 kva pole pig.
I used a Lincoln cracker box welder and a 10 kw heater array in parallel
with the welder.  I am _very_ pleased with the result.  No "bumping", and my
sparkgaps have never sang a clearer song! I think one may find that,
depending on setup specifics, that sometimes a series setup may work good,
and in other systems a parallel setup may work better.  I think as we get
more experience, we'll better be able to qualify ballasting methods.

Bert