[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC Secondary Electrostatic Charge

Ed and Malcolm,
	last month? I piped in on a discussion of a static discharge
from a TC secondary after the power had been off. I had accused Ed of
getting charged up:)

	Tonight I fired up my TC with my 10" hemisphere instead of my
28" toroid. Great sparks off that and some minor corona off the top
turns of the secondary. When I went to remove the hemisphere I touched
the polyethylene former of my secondary. I got some painful shocks
from it. The primary WAS disconnected from the mains. MY earth ground
is saturated with H20 from the rains. I then touched my ground
electrode to make sure I was at 0 volts. Touching the TC secondary in
the same spot produced no shock, but moving my had around the
secondary produced multiple shocks. Just like sliding your had over a
charged piece of plastic!  Mea Culpa, I apologize for my snide remarks
about grounding.

zap

	jim