[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV PFC Capacitance ?

>> Does anyone know what range of capacitance power factor correction
>> capacitors are as used on HV lines ?  If in the correct capacitance
>> range, would these be useful as TC caps ?
>
>I just bought some surplus PFC caps at a utility auction, and they are
>rated at 2400V, 25uF (V too low, C too high for Tesla coils, just fine
>for exploding wires).  I know they make and use higher voltage caps, but I
>imagine that the capacitance would be too high to be of practical use.
>But if you see something that would have an appropriate capacitance and
>voltage rating (2 or 3 x your input voltage?), go for it.  If I can get a
>few more of 2400V units, I have entertained the idea of sawing the top off
>one (no PCB's) and seeing if I can reassemble the pieces into a higher
>voltage, lower capacitance unit (anyone have any experience with this?).
>
>Good luck.
>
>Steven Roys

Steven...
Instead of cutting ect. why not try them in series.  10 units should give
you 2.5uF -at- 24KV.  20 = 1.25uF -at- 48KV.  I've done this in other
applications, but not at this high a voltage.  Make sure to insulate the
cans from one another or you'll exceed the internal insulation value.  I
think that several layers of electrical tape should work fine, or mount
them on a piece of plexy... Hope this helps.... Later Dave

depet-at-quicklink-dot-net
David (Dave) Patty

"They copied all they could follow
but they couldn't copy my mind,
so I left them all sweatin' and schemin'
a year and a half behind"......Kipling