[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Chokes

Scott Myers <scotty-at-wesnet-dot-com> On Sat, 09 Mar 1996 23:27:21 -0500,
you wrote:

>Sorry Jim,
>
>I haven't tested those chokes yet.  I hope to tommorrow night.  I'll
>keep you posted.
>
>Scotty

I'm having a problem with mine! 100 turns of 22 A.W.G. on the 2501
core from Hosfelt. I increased my spark gap spacing from 0.016 to
0.030 per gap (10 electrodes, 9 gaps). The first thing that happened
was the wire on the toroid connected to the high side of my primary,
shunt spark gap, blasted a hole through the 1/8" plexiglass between
the toroid and the pressboard base. So I put in some 3/8" plexy under
it. The spark jumped arround. I put it in transformer oil, in a
polyethylene container, on the 3/8" plexy on the 1/8" plexy. ZAP thru
all to the base! I raised the toroid up off the tupperware with a 1/8"
plexy disc. It finally ran for a few minutes before arcing through. I
raised it all on 1"x2" wood blocks. It still arced through!

My main discharge toroid 28" x 4" is putting out 3' (straight line
measured) air discharges! and 34" arcs!

Has anybody else had this problem?

	supprised jim