[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Blown Rolled "Hull" Capacitor Discussion

>old question. Which I replied that I would try my 0.060" polyethylene
>cap at 15KV as soon as my 0.030" poly came in.
>
>>Subject: Re: Blown Rolled "Hull" Capacitor Discussion
Last week I posted:
>I ran 15kV at 60ma. tonight for about 20 minutes. NO blown cap -at-0.060"
>
>I did however, run out of room in my garage! My son's bike has been
>electrocuted many times tonight!  30" arc, measured straight line

This week, I regaped my 10 electrode 9 gap spark gap to 0.030" per
gap, built a strike rail, and 2 500pF PVC bypass caps. It ran
beautifully for several minutes, maybe 40" arcs, before my SINGLE
layer 0.06" polyethylene cap shorted! The cap now lights up instead of
the spark gap!

This cap had been filled with motor oil, run several times. the rinsed
twice with transformer oil, refilled and a vacuum pulled. It had run
for several months as I improved my system. I'm not unhappy that it
died tonight because I'm just cutting and sanding the Al flashing away
from a 3 layer 0.090" cap.

specs:	15kV -at- 60ma.
	13.7nF cap	(was)
	14.5 turns 1/4" inverse conical primary.

	8" by 20" secondary 22 A.W.G
	28" by 4" toroid.

I think RQ's recomdations for using 0.090" worth of polyethylene are
correct. I just reverify them!

	show me 	jim