[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: acrylic glueing

Kevin writes....

> I am now working with acrylic on my formless coil. I recall someone
> talking of cracks forming when glueing acrylic. Could someone
> refresh me on that so I do not repeat the same mistakes. I would
> also like to ask why do you need to seal the tube at the ends?

There are two commonly used solvents for welding acrylic (PMMA) that
I am aware of: chloroform and methylene chloride. So far I have only
used chloroform (with a bit of acrylic dissolved for a filler. The
crazing that accompanies the use of solvents appears to have something
to do with the stress that the material is under. I have found that
MOST sheet doesn't craze but that most pipe does.

Some info,
Malcolm