[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Spark gap and Tesla Magnifier System

>Chuck & the group-

>I don't thinks there are plans currently available for proven rotary
>gap designs, or at least none that I have heard about.

Reprints of the Best from the Electrical Experimenter, 1916-1917 are
available from Lindsay Publications. (815) 935-5353.  They carry a lot of
Teslas' work and other strange, out-of-print books.  There are several
drawings for rotary gaps in the reprints.  Maybe a plan or two and
description of construction.  I built one out of plexiglas using my own
design and the HV jumps to the motor!  I need to extend the drive shaft!  I
mounted the wheel directly to the drive shaft of the motor.

I haven't had good luck on rotary gaps.  The best performance I get on my
coil is when I used a series of copper pipes spaced about 0.030" apart.  I
use about 6 or 7.  I built a plexi chamber and use 2 muffin fans to blow air
across the gap  similar to Jim Carbone's design.  A picture was printed in
Popular Electronics (or Electronics Now?) a couple of years ago when they
talked about HV capacitor design.

> I would love to find this out too, since I am in the middle of trying to
>complete a design and get the construction part started.

I too, would be interested in any plans for a good rotary gap.  I spent a
lot of money on plexiglas and haven't had good results.  Good luck in your
construction project.

*** Magic Bill ***