[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neon RFI filtering

Last night I blew my first neon after I had connected my 2mH filter
chokes between the primary cap and the neon. Today I rolled 2 500pF
filter caps to prevent that from happening again. Just for grins I ran
1/(2pi(lc)^.5)) to calculate the resonant frequency of the filter
network. It  was 159KHz. That warned me to watch out for resonant
peaks in the filter network. With a 15Kv source the filter caps reach
23Kv each, that's 3 times the 7.5Kv each leg is supplied. This is
based on a series spark gap, not a shunt gap. I can see why Richard
Quick recommends a shunt gap as being easer on the transformer.

I'll put the Microsim Pspice schematic, spice netlist, and output data
on my ftp site ftp.bdt-dot-com/home/jim.fosse/tank.sch, tank.cir, tank.dat
if anyone wants to look at it.
That is as soon as I can login to bdt.

Suggestion? comments?