[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Ground Strap

Hi Lawrence,

> I don't recall seeing anything recently about Tesla grounds, but the ground
> here in Wisconsin is thawing and I am preparing for a REAL ground.  The
> question I have is:  Is it real bad to have the ground strap connections
> connecting the rods together ABOVE ground (as in a few inches)?  I think
> that my parents would not be too happy about having large trenches dug into
> their garden.

No, it won't hurt anything.  However, you will lose the grounding capabilty of
the strap itself in it isn't buried.  It too has a lot of surface area.  Leaving
the ground strap and rod tips above ground is more of an eye sore than upsetting
the surface for a short time.  Tell them that.

I don't have my parents to worry about, since its my own yard.  However, I didn't
want to destroy the grass where I dug the trench to bury the assembly.  So, I
simply dug up the sod in large strips where I was to dig the trench.  After
installing all of the rods, soldering the interconnect strap to the rods, and the
lead strap to the interconnect, I buried the whole thing and placed to sod back on
top.  I then complete soaked the area with water.  I put some grass seed around
the edges of the sod pieces.  In 2 weeks, I couldn't tell where I had done it,
except for a few bright green lines of new grass.  In a month, I couldn't tell at
all.

If you are careful, you shouldn't upset things too much.  If it is a garden, don't
they till it up in the spring anyway?  Now if you are near bushes or small trees,
that is a different matter.  You could accidentally kill them buy damaging their
root systems.

Scott Myers