[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon Transformers With/Without PFC

Hi everyone,

I recently joined this list and have been avidly reading all your messages.  I
work with computer graphics, but have always been a bit of an electronics buff.
 As a kid I was really into electrostatics, but most of my formal electronic
knowledge is in audio circuits (though the stuff I learned about filters seems
very applicable to Tesla work).  I built my last coil in high-school about 17
years ago, and would like to get back into it.   My only problem is that I live
in a small apartment in NY which is big enough for a few arc lamps (I collect
old ones...family history), but not for anything but the smallest coil.  Sort
of a pain since I have neon suppliers, industrial plastics shops etc. all
within easy reach.  Thankfully my folks have a place out on Long Island with
some space, so I have begun collecting supplies with the intent of assembling a
coil later this spring out there.  My Dad is into the idea.  Anyway on to the
topic of this thread:

Someone mentioned recently that 15kv neons were not that rugged or suited to
Tesla coil work.  I was just wondering if there is some consensus on a good
value to use, or if any one manufacturer is better than others.

Also regarding power factor correction:  Is the 90 degree phase difference
between the voltage and current in a purely inductive load what causes the
power loss?  If so, then is the capacitor value determined by finding the neon
primary's impedance and matching it in Farads?  Is such correction needed on
other types of transformers like pole pigs?

Please forgive me if these questions seem too obvious.  I recently dug out an
old electronics textbook and have been trying to bone up on some basics...it's
been a while.

Charles Brush