[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Oscilliscopes Ahoy!

At 01:30 PM 3/19/96 +0700, you wrote:
>>From scotty-at-wesnet-dot-com Tue Mar 19 13:16 MST 1996
>Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:49:41 -0500
>From: Scott Myers <scotty-at-wesnet-dot-com>
>To: Tesla Group <tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com>
>Subject: Oscilliscopes Ahoy!
>
>Hello all,
>
>I have been looking for a decent oscilliscope lately.  I currently
>don't have one.  In my rummaging around at some old warehouses, I
>found a guy who has a small room full of old ones.  He assured me
>that they all function and will fire one up when I am ready to buy one.
>Unfortunately, I personally do not know enough about oscilliscopes to
>make an informed decision about which one to buy.  He seems to have
>quite selection.  Most of these are older units.  They all have a cart
>included.  Some are smaller portable units.  Many are the older type
>that have a separate power supply that is on the bottom of the cart.
>
>So, I need help on knowing a bit more about these units.  They guy that
>owns them seems knowledgable enough, but I would like to get the
>assistance of one of those in out group that might be more familiar with
>these old model numbers/specs.  These are mostly Techtroniks scopes.
>Here are the some details on a few units:
>

>Model 5103N, with D11 storage module, 5A15N amp, 5A18N dual amp,
>5B10N time base/amp
>
>There are many 555 scopes, with various modules.
>
>There are model numbers 551, 549, 585A, 581, 7623.
>
>There is a model 547 dual trace, with W differential compensator module
>including a camera.
>
>There are a ton of modules on the shelf for these scopes.
>
>This is just a short list of the scopes.  There are others, I just
>didn't have the time to get the details on all of them.  He has newer
>smaller more modern units too.  I'm sure he want a bit more money for
>those.
>
>He seems to want little for these units.  For instance, The 555 units
>with power supply and cart he was asking $140.
>
>Any advice? Comments?
>
>Scott Myers
>

>Scott,
        The Tektronix scopes were the dream of every servicer 20 years ago.
They are excelent machines, however most of the modles you mentioned were
tube type or hybrid ( part tube  part solid state) I always wanted a 545
with a dual trace plug in and a high gain plug in. In the Navy ( Viet NAm
era) The 545 and 555 were the most widely used scopes around. Even in the
test equipment repair and calibration lab, a 545 was used as a standard. As
for add on modules, a high gain vertical preamp module for small signal use,
a dula trace vertical plugin for comparing two signals, some even had a
vernier dial that would allow for  time delaying one trace as compared to
another.Great for timing comparisons in digital control circuitry. A wide
Band horizontal plug in allows for viewing high frequency signals ( 100 meg
was considered high in those days). I don't know what applications you have
in mind for the scope, but if you can live with the size, and the tubes. The
tek. scopes would be a good general purpose starter .

Jim Leonard