[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon Transformers With/Without PFC

> Someone mentioned recently that 15kv neons were not that rugged or suited to
> Tesla coil work.  I was just wondering if there is some consensus on a good
> value to use, or if any one manufacturer is better than others.

>>On the contrary, they work quite well in Tesla coil work.  They are
internally
>>current limited as opposed to most transformers where you would have to use
>>some sort of inductive\resistive ballast in series on the low side to control
>>the current.

Mike,

What I meant was that someone had mentioned that 15kv neons in particular (vs.
12kv or 9kv neons) were a problem.  I was just wondering why, having considered
using these myself.

Thanks a lot for the power factor information.  That was very helpful (it went
into my pertinant messages archive).  Ah...phasors!  It makes sense that you'd
want to use capacitive reactance to reduce the current lag, I had just never
realized that this is what the PFC term referred to (seems obvious _now_ <g>).
I dug out my Grob Basic Electronics textbook tonight and found a section on
this.

Charles Brush