[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ELF-Tesla

> Hello Richard, this is facinating stuff. Have you published any
> of your research in this field? If so, where can it be found?

Basically, what you see is what you get. The new stuff generally
is assembled here, which is revised and updated as we discuss.

> I am interrested in how you would construct a Tesla type 'X-Ray
> Bulb' from a resonator system with a max of 1800 Watt input
> power. I have a background in Radiation Protection Technology,
> so I am familiar with precautions required in dealing with
> ionizing radiations. Now, I understand the principles used in
> modern X-Ray equipment, but am ignorant of the Tesla designs.
> If you could enlighten me or point me in the right direction I
> would be greatfull, as I am interrested in doing some
> experimentation with X-Rays, and constructing such a high
> voltage rectifier sounds like an exciting project.

There are several excellent sources of information on Tesla's
unique single terminal bulbs and power supplies. All of them are
in Tesla's original words:

_NIKOLA TESLA: LECTURE BEFORE THE NEW YORK ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
- APRIL 6, 1897_
Nikola Tesla, 1897, (edited and prefaced by Leland I. Anderson)
published by Twenty First Century Books, 1994, Library of
Congress Card No.: 94-61004, ISBN 0-9636012-1-0 (hard cover) ISBN
0-9636012-7-X (soft cover), 123pp, $12.95 cover price. This is a
real gem. Tesla was the third speaker of the evening April 6.
The hour grew late and the presentation was cut short. Leland
Anderson has retrieved the entire lecture as it was originally
written by Tesla, and has included the sections that Tesla had
determined not to present due to conflicts with pending patent
applications. The lecture covers coil construction (complete with
techniques, drawings, and photos), radio schematics, the AND
logic gate schematic (incredible), radio and X-Ray tube con-
struction and experiments. This is another overwhelming proof
that Tesla was at least a half a century ahead of his time. One
resonator schematic used for production of X-Rays was heralded
as a great improvement when it was re-invented 38 years later by
D. Sloan. This is no interpretation, this is the original work.
Highly Recommended

_EXPERIMENTS WITH ALTERNATE CURRENTS OF HIGH POTENTIAL AND
HIGH FREQUENCY: A Lecture delivered before the Institution
of Electrical Engineers, London_
by Nikola Tesla, with an appendix by the same author:
> TRANSMISSION OF ELECTRIC ENERGY WITHOUT WIRES
1904, Mcgraw Publishing Co., New York, reprinted 1986, Angriff
Press, P.O.BOX 2726, Hollywood CA 90078, 162pp, ISBN 913022-25-X
The title is a pretty apt description. The lecture (presented in
1895) covers his RF work and lighting systems with details of
single terminal bulb design, circuits, and some coil design and
construction. Tesla also expands on his ideas for wireless power
transmission that were presented in a lecture in St. Louis in
1893. The appendix is quite interesting, and consists of a
reprint of an article that was solicted by "Electrical World and
Engineer" magazine for their 30th aniversary issue, March 5,
1904. At the time the appendix article was written, Tesla's
Wardenclyff project was beginning to show signs of stalling: cost
overruns, construction delays, and problems with financing. The
project of course never saw commercial completion, though Tesla
did fire it for experimental purposes.

_THE COMPLETE PATENTS OF NIKOLA TESLA_
Nikola Tesla, edited by Jim Glenn; 1994, ISBN 1-56619-266-8,
Barnes & Nobel, paperback, 535 pp, $14.98 (plus a couple of bucks
shipping and handling in the U.S.), Barnes & Nobel item # 1903210
The title says "THE COMPLETE PATENTS", but Tesla, fluent in at
least five languages, had dozens of additional patents approved
in countries outside the U.S.; however, all one hundred and
twelve U.S. patents are reproduced in their entirety. This
edition is completely reset in NEW type with all paragraphs
numbered to match the originals; all the schematics and diagrams
have been painstakingly reset and are quite legible. This is not
a collection of murky photocopies that sold for years at $40.00.
NOTE: if this edition is not in your Tesla library, you are
really missing out on a treat... at a fantastic price.

BTW; the open air X-Ray diode with diagram of the single terminal
X-Ray bulb are detailed in Patent No. 685,957, dated November 5,
1901. This patent is found on page 512 in the above publication.
Details of the tube construction and operation are found in the
first publication referenced.

> One more thing, on a note of caution: while working with such
> devises one must be carfull to properly shield the X-Ray
> emitter from the scatterd radiation and of course, keep all
> body parts out of the beam.

It goes without saying (everytime) that nearly all of the
equipment we discuss in this group involves lethal potentials and
energies. It is understood that everytime we examine/operate this
equipment that all safety proceedures and precautions are
observed. In all the time I have been working with very dangerous
HV equipment I have never had an accident: indcidents aplenty,
but accidents never. In my discussions with others involved in
this hobby I have never had anyone personally relate a story of
an accident that involved serious personal injury or property
damage/loss. Now we all smoke equipment on a regular basis, but
that most certainly falls in the "incident" catagory, if you have
not smoked some equipment, you have not coiled! I am proud to be
able to say that the Tesla coilers I know are among the safest
group of people I encountered in any area of my life.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12