[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First Firing of my Coil (All 10 minutes of it!)

Hi All

Well, after a couple of months of building, I finally fired my coil
today.  I was getting 2 to 3 foot streamers from the toroid.  I was
most impressed for a first try :-)

We were busy looking at the voltage across the spark gap with an
oscilloscope, when it all suddenly stopped!  3 capacitors failed (I
presume 1 failed, and the other two in series with it went soon
after).  So now it's down to building some stronger capacitors.

I'm thinking of making rolled capacitors in a tube and instead of
filling them with oil, using a silicon elastomar (Sylgard 170) which is a very
runny two pot mix which sets after about 8 hours.  It should be able to
be drawn in under a vacuum to ensure no air bubbles.  Has anyone ever
tried this?

Regards

Richard
Richard Chapman