[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Surplus Capacitors

Hey Gang!

I've been following this group for a while, wading through the messages,
learning and lurking.  I'm also out of town because I can't find a job in
the Oak Ridge area as the government is trying to downsize the town to nothing.

The reason I'm posting this message is because our U.S. Government (aka,
Department of Energy, DOE) is thinking about surplusing some high voltage
capacitors.  Be aware that these probably DO contain PCBs as they were
manufactured prior to 1977.  But they are sealed units and in working order.
DOE does not want the hassle of continually checking them, etc. and treating
them as PCB contaminated.  Some of the voltages coming into this plant are
161 kVA.  I don't know what the particular voltages or capacitances of these
HV capacitors are but I feel that they should work for Tesla services.

If DOE does try to surplus these capacitors, would anyone be interested?
I'm sure that they would be at an attractive price.  It appears that DOE
COULD sell these units if they were for the intended purpose (high voltage
electricity) and NOT be declared as a waste.  Of course the buyer would be
responsible for safe disposal if they ever failed, etc.

What do you guys think?  Anyone want some CHEAP HV Caps with possible PCBs
compliments our federal government?  They have about 2500 units or so.
Current disposal price is $8 per pound for PCB caps.  That's what DOE pays.
So if someone offered to BUY them, they'd probably almost give them away.  I
need your feedback on this.

Thanks!
William L. Osburn

P.S. I'm only home on weekends to check my E-Mail.  If anyone needs to get
hold of me faster, call (502) 462-2550 (work) or (423) 482-6057 (home).