[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Spark Gap Design

Malcolm,

>They also state at the top of that page

> "During the spark dwell time, the
>magnetic flux produced by the primary links the entire secondary.
>Consequently the primary/secondary interplay of energy may be treated
>by lumped circuit analysis".

I have to disagree their statement for 3 reasons.

 Based on both yours and Richards prior post on Toroid coupling into
the primary field, in which  you both stated that the coupling was
nil. If the Toroid was NOT coupled into the primary field, then the
top of the coil was not either (to any great extent)

Dr. Rzeszotarski's prior post on coupling indicated a decreasing
coupling based on height above the primary. ( sorry, I seemed to have
not saved that post:( so I can't quote exact numbers.

Finally, I you visualize a single turn secondary with a volt meter
attached, and slowly raise it up from the bottom of your TC secondary
to the top of your TC secondary, you will get a decreasing induced
voltage: almost NIL at the toroid position.

Treating the secondary as a lumped coupled inductor  ignores the
transmission line effects. Treating it as a transmission line uses a
LUMPED driving voltage. Either model ignores the effects of the other
phenomenon. I am afraid that the TC secondary will have to be treated
as an integrated equation combining both  transmission line segments
and decreasingly coupled single turn inductor segments.

Unfortunately, until one of us begs, buys, or borrows a HV RF voltage
probe to measure the TC output voltage, We may never know:(
 Or until we can excite the interest of a good modeling mathematician,
hey Dr. R.   ;)

No criticism with your remarks, just with a piece of the Corums.

	Regards,

	jim

p.s.	I just got the next post on the by GL-leyh at stanford.
Similar ideas, different expression:)
	jf