[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lumped vs. Helical Resonator

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzMon May 27 09:14:14 1996
> Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 09:53:50 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Lumped vs. Helical Resonator
>
> Hi Richard,
>             On the subject of measurement you replied....
>
> > We are currently working on special rectification ideas for TCs, but I
> > don't believe for one minute that a rectifier/filter loaded TC will
> > really give a peak voltage equivalent to that of normal discharge
> > through air.
>
> I realize that for the first shot or two the coil will be detuned. But
> as the rectifier fed cap attains a charge, it presents less and less
> also its capacitance relative to the terminal capacitance is going to
> have some effect. A lot obviously depends on the measuring capacitor
> leakage, but I think that can be overcome. Anything more I should
> consider?
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm,

I was speaking of the idealized case where a simple rectifier capacitor
DC supply might be considered.  If one matches the impedance of the
source (Top of the TC) to the capacitaive load, one will get maximum
power transfer.  But if the load is of far greater impedance than the
impedance of the supply, a much higher voltage might be realized than
with best power transfer scenarios.

Richard Hull, TCBOR