[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: VOMs

Tesla List wrote:

> >From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comSat May 25 11:39:27 1996
> Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 06:55:21 GMT
> From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: VOMs
>
> On Thu, 23 May 1996 21:57:27 -0600, Tesla List
> <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>, you wrote:
>
> >  The VOM is fast disappearing from
> >the scene, much to my disgust, because the metered movement allows a bit
> >of optical integration that the DMM just can't do, period.
> I'm glad to see others prefer analog meters. 99.9% of the time no one
> needs 4 digits of accuracy, and the analog meters are faster for
> general use. note: I'm a digital engineer by profession and I still
> like the analog meters for general use!
>
> >Be adived that one single inadvertent check of a cap with a charge
> >remaining on it will destroy a modern, digital LCR meter.  The older tube
> >units just laugh at such little faux pas on the part of the experimenter.
> >
> Tubes may be out of fashion, big, hot, BUT THEY ARE ROBUST!
>
> After running my TC for a month or 2, the sad thought occurred to me:
> I wondered if ANY of the ICs in my garage still work?
>
>         pensively,
>
>         jim
>         BSEE, teethed on tubes(in grade school), now doing ICs.

Jim,

I, too, grew up on tubes, jeweled meter movements, etc. (I just turned
50) I was in college even when vacuum tubes were still the only real
industrial power option, (ignitrons, mercury vapor rectifiers and
thyratrons), and SCRs were still struggling to handle over 5 amps!  I
prefer semiconductors in all devices which I use for pleasure.

When it comes to Tesla work or any HV work for that matter, nothing beats
tubes for reliabilty and stamina.  This work is such that a regular meter
even gives more accuracy than is needed.  Too many Tesla buffs record
their capacitors as being .0512ufd or their coils 45.12mh, etc.  All
these precise measurements are lost when the sparks start flyin' as all
values are altered to far beyond the simple comprehension of most novice
builders.

Richard Hull, TCBOR